February 2008 Homemade Cold Cereal

I'm usually not the type to share recipes but I am so excited about this one that I want to share. It is homemade grape nuts. I tastes more like cookies and milk. In connection with homemade granola, it can save you a ton on your cold cereal bill! (Also, since I can't digest milk so well, I use plain old rice milk, and I burned my first batch because I cooked it for an hour like the recipe says, I have found that 30 min is plenty.)

Grape Nuts
§ 3 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
§ 1 c. brown sugar
§ 1 t. salt
§ 1 t. baking soda
§ 1 t. cinnamon
§ 2 c. sour milk or buttermilk (you can make milk sour by adding a T. of vinegar to it)
§ 2 t. vanilla
Mix thoroughly and pour into a greased jelly roll pan (cookie sheet with sides). Bake at 375° for 15 minutes. Cool completely. At this point, this looks and smells like cake. Once the cake is cooled completely, cut it into pieces and whirl it into crumbs in the food processor. Don’t process too long because you don’t want it to get gummy. Spread this crumbly mixture into two jelly roll pans. Bake at 300° for one hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Turn off the oven and leave the grape nuts in the pan in the oven overnight.