March and April 2012

This was the baby gift I made for Sabrina. I made the little penguin for Charles and then thought it would be fun to have somewhat matching hats for the other kids. I worked so hard to get them done in time to give them to her when Alice and Joseph went home and then it didn't happen. So I wonder if she will see this on my blog before she gets it?!

This is my bad paint job for our island. It actually looks pretty good considering it was my first experience with oil based paint. Every step of the way we have problems and this was just another one to add to the list. When I distressed the edges it really helped and takes your eye away from the bad paint job. Overall, I am mostly pleased

Here I am mixing sugar water for the bees.
William had to do some last minite finishing on the hives. We built them ourselves. We put in an observation window and a removable bottom as well as making our own feeders. It took a little longer than we thought but we are really happy and proud of our hives since we started out not knowing anything about bees. Thanks to youtube.com and biobees.com! These are top bar hives which is different from the box hives you usually see. These are more natural and TONS cheaper.
This is me painting the island while William and Bud Wilhelm installed the cabinets. Unlike most of our family and friends we have had cold weather with snow and hail. I am grateful for my work coat. Unfortunately since the garage was so full of junk I had little space to paint and got black paint all over my coat.
William and Bud made fast work of installing the cabinets. Before Bud came William and I hurriedly mudded, sanded, textured, and painted the walls. Mom and I had gone shopping for a paint color. We tried and tried to find a certain color, when we found the paint swatch Mom pulled out one next to it and I realized I already had a whole gallon of that paint that I had bought for the other house and never used!! Yea! One less thing to spend money on!
Wow, what a difference!

The kichen before tile, with just the backerboard down. Notice the shelves full of junk. This whole experience has been one of "Where is the . . . "
Here is how far we got the first day of tiling. Notice all the sheetrock, what a lot of work!
The kids were a good help getting up the rotten wood. One other thing we found as we did this project was a leaking pipe behind the fridge that had soaked the floor boards.
The sink was the last thing to come out. But really what did we need it for? I couldn't cook.
William using the . . . what is the name? . . . I can't think of it right now but it is a big heavy piece of metal.
I was against it at first but it turned out to be the best way to get the tiles off and find the screws that were holding the counter down. Everytime we found a screw we thought it was the last just to find more screws!
Getting all the electrical figured out and wired took over a week! All the electrical had been fished through the soffits so we had to take the wires back down through the walls like it should have been in the first place!My kitchen has been a construction zone for way too long! When I tried to cook, little pieces of insulation would fall down from the ceiling into our food!
I debated putting this picture in but oh well. We found a pile of dead mice when we took out the sheetrock! Gross! Good thing we decided to take the sheetrock out or those dead mice would be there for another 20+ years. Under the sink was the worst. The poop was 1/2 inch thick at least and there was a bunch of insulation that the mice had brought there to have their nest. Gross! I'm so glad to get rid of it and replace with clean wood.
Ross and Rosina have been here to help many times. One day I said, "Thank you so much for coming to help!" Rosina said "I couldn't think of anything we needed to get done at home. We have never experienced not having anything to do on a Sat." I said, "Then I think the Lord has blessed you to not have anything to do so you could come help us!"
The kids really wanted to help but there wasn't anything that small hands could do. Then I had an idea. I told the kids to pull back the swimming pool tarp and dig a fire pit. They were so excited! You should have seen how eager they were digging! I don't think Ricky has ever loved me so much. He ran and gave me a hug and said over 5 times "I love you Mom!"Durring all this construction I noticed a muggy smell down in the storage room and then noticed a pool of water on the floor. The pipe coming out of our water heater was leaking! Poor William has had to just jump into things without having a clue what to do. It took a few times but finally ( and only in answer to our prayers I am sure), he replaced it and got it on tight enough.
For my birthday we went to a pizza place that the kids had a bunch of free coupons for and the kids played some games and with their tickets got these mustaches. It was so funny to watch them stick it up their nose and keep it there.